Store - Art of Encaustic Painting by Joanne Mattera
Art of Encaustic Painting by Joanne Mattera
Currently, this product has not been reviewed by our customers. Login to submit a review.
Should there be any discrepancies in our inventory, we’ll be sure to contact you promptly by phone or email.
Encaustic, a wax-based painting medium characterized by luminous colour and a lush surface, flourished more than 2,000 years ago in Greco-Roman Egypt. Today, encaustic painting is experiencing an unprecedented revival. And The Art of Encaustic Painting, the only comprehensive book on this beautiful but challenging medium, tells you everything you need to know on the subject. Inside, youÕll find:
- more than 100 full-colour photographs of works by artists who paint in encaustic, illuminating the vast range of images and aesthetics being produced through this medium
- in-depth information on choosing the tools and materials you need and using them safely, setting up your work area, making your own paints, preparing the surface of your paintings, and applying and controlling the medium to create various effects
- conversations with more than 50 Contˇmporary encaustic painters Š including Jasper Johns Š describing their techniques and creative processes
- advice from museum professionals, gallery owners, paintmakers and other industry experts on matters ranging from using encaustic materials to properly preparing and protecting finished works
- and an overview of the history of encaustic
Joanne Mattera has been a painter for 25 years. She is represented by commercial galleries in New York, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta and Scottsdale. Her work is in numerous public and private collections. Visit her Web site at www.joannemattera.com
You may also be interested in: